Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Carrot Cake experiment

I'm messing around with a carrot cake recipe. I've found several SCD recipes for carrot cake, but none of them had ingredients for the kind of carrot cake I was looking for. I wanted to create something that would remind me of the spiced carrot cake that my grandmother used to make.

I don't tolerate the almond flour very well, so I like to use peanut butter as the "flour" and came up with this version:

Carrot Cake by Fernpixel

1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup pureed carrots
1 egg
1/2 cup dry curd cottage cheese
2 Tablespoons homemade apple sauce
1/3 cup honey (or 1/2 cup if you like your cake sweet)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon allspice powder
1/4 teaspoon clove powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon orange zest

Preheat oven to 350F
Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Bake for 30 minutes or until edges are brown

I think its too many ingredients to work with. I just happened to have all of these in my pantry. If my stomach wasn't acting up, I would probably add some raisins too.

The cake came out very moist and fluffy! I'm going to bake this again later this month to test if it was skill or a case of beginner's luck.

2 comments:

charles said...

you are awesome.

Kat said...

Hmm I think I am the opposite. I don't do so well with peanut butter but almond butter is ok in small amounts. I might just have to try this and let you know how it goes :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails